5.26.2009

Bumpits. Do They Really Work?

A few days ago, I was reading the Beauty Q & A section of this month's InStyle magazine. Someone asked the question, 'How can I get all day volume in my hair?'. The answer was a suggestion to try something called Bumpits, a plastic insert that delivers instant height without the damage of back-combing, and no drooping.




So after checking out the Bumpits website and some YouTube videos, I decided to give them a try.

I placed my order for a set but sadly found out it may take up to 6 weeks to get them. And of course before I can follow up this post with a rave or rant about the Bumpits.

In the meantime, has anyone tried these? Do Bumpits actually work? Maybe I should have asked before I ordered! :)

Something to be aware of if you do order this item is the aggressive upselling at check-out. The basic 4 piece set doesn`t include the Hollywood Bumpits for $5 more. Or the rubberized coating (for a better grip) at $5/piece, or the styling DVD for $10.

These were the most useful tips I came across from all the videos I watched on YouTube about Bumpits.
  1. Gather hair in a wide (enough to cover the full width of the Bumpits), but not a deep section.
  2. Back-comb hair lightly (spray lightly with hairspray - optional) before inserting the Bumpits so it stays in place better.
  3. Gently wiggle the Bumpits back and forth as you slide it into place underneath the hair.
  4. Make a ponytail, gather sides and clip in center back, or make a bun to keep it secure.
  5. Spray the finished style lightly for extra hold.

**UPDATE**

To let readers know, a couple of JCA's have posted comments on where to get Bumpits for less in the USA:

Gingersnap (thank you) recommends Walgreens. The set comes with fewer pieces but is well priced at only $9.99. Click here for the Walgreen's page.

Stylestance (thank you) bought hers from HSN. Their set is priced at $24.95 and ships within the USA. Click here for the HSN page.

These are both for USA orders/customers only.

**ADDITIONAL UPDATE**

I wanted to follow-up on this post with my personal impression of Bumpits after I received and tried them. Unfortunately, this product gets a thumbs down from me. I guess I just don`t have enough hair, regardless of how much I spray and tease it, to completely cover a regular Bumpit. I think they could work if you have thicker hair, but don`t waste money on them if your hair is fine and thin.