12.09.2011

J.Crew Wool Sweater Dress Review



With yet another sale underway at J.Crew, I thought it's a good time to post about a few items I ordered recently. Some are keepers, others are returns. I'll try to add them over the next few days before the current sale ends.


The Wool sweater dress in hthr dark grape caught my eye when it showed up online. I decided to give it a try during a recent sale. If you like purple this features a gorgeous shade of the color. The fit is true to size. The top feels like a 14 gauge knit, and the skirt is thicker, something like a 12 gauge knit.

J.Crew does merino wool pieces really well and I think this dress is an example of that. It's a classic sweater dress style that's soft against the skin and easy to wear. It's not too short or too long on average height figures. The waist is in the right place to add a belt (even a narrow one). The thick knit of the skirt is quite forgiving of lumps and bumps on the lower half, although I still prefer to wear it with either tights or a light body shaper for a super smooth look.