12.10.2011

J.Crew Excursion Quilted Vest, Flared Perfect Coat, Paisley Wool Scarf in Pictures


My quest for an ivory colored vest this season began and ended with J.Crew's Excursion quilted vest. What I like about this vest is that it's not too thick so I can wear it indoors for more than a couple of minutes without overheating. Most of the vests I came across were either too warm or thick and filled with a lofty synthetic.

The collar isn't tall or bulky and it's comfortable to wear even zipped all the way up. The front pockets are roomy and well placed. It's also the perfect shade of off-white in a smooth matte material.

I personally like the gold zipper detail with the ivory color, and of course the 2-way zip is always a useful feature. Since it is a thinner vest, it's easy to layer.


Unfortunately, this one doesn't seem like it will go on sale before it sells out so take advantage of the discount promotions from J.Crew if you've had your eye on it.



The sizing is generous. I went down one size to an XS, which still left room to wear it comfortably over my merino and cashmere sweaters.


The next item I tried is the Paisley Wool Scarf. This also comes in a pretty floral pattern called Orange Blossom. I liked both options but chose this one to wear with the Flared perfect coat shown below.



The last item for this post is the Flared Perfect Coat. This was on sale with an additional discount when I ordered it recently. This is a fall release J.Crew Collection coat. The fabric has a plush look and feel. It's a thick 50/50 wool and alpaca faux fur texture, probably one of the warmest dress coats that I've tried from J.Crew without thinsulate. The color is called dusty clay (looks like salmon pink in real life).


The fit and flare design feels lovely to wear - all swingy goodness. I tried this buttoned up and unbuttoned, but liked it best unbuttoned with a pretty scarf. That's probably the only thing that puts me on the fence about keeping it since I would mostly want to wear it unbuttoned. This coat isn't for everyone. I think the top part needs to be a snug fit to create the best shape, and the very full flared bottom may overwhelm a petite figure.

Items shown in my outfits: 
Excursion quilted vest (size XS)
Blythe blouse in silk (size 2)
Minnie pants in bi-stretch wool (size 2)
No. 2 pencil skirt in metallic boucle (size 2)
Bronson booties, similar here
Paisley wool scarf
Wool scarf in orange blossom
Tissue turtleneck tee (size small)
Flared perfect coat (size 4)